The Supreme Court of India told the state government of Karnataka that it could not keep up an iron ore transportation ban forever. The ban which was imposed by the state government in an effort to stem illegal mining and export of iron ore was issued last year in July.
MSPL Ltd., Sesa Goa, SB Minerals and Mineral Enterprises Ltd had challenged the order of Karnataka state government on which notice was issued and state's reply was sought by apex court on November 26.
The Supreme Court said that it was giving two weeks to the state government to notify the rules or evolve any alternative mechanism to allow iron ore export from Karnataka. The ban was originally imposed for six months and that period will end in January 2011 end.
Supreme Court Bench of Justice V. Raveendran and Justice AK Patnaik said that the illegal mining can be stopped but the ban on export cannot continue forever. On behalf of the state of Karnataka Senior counsel KV Viswanathan assisted by advocate Anitha Shenoy told the court that the Karnataka government had already framed rules and was ready to notify them.
The case will have its next hearing in the first week of February.